Deleting videos on iPhone is a simple process: Open the Photos app, navigate to ‘Albums’ and then ‘Videos’. Select the videos you wish to delete and tap the trash icon. For permanent removal, go to ‘Recently Deleted’, select the videos, and delete. Remember to back up important videos before deleting.
Our article continues below with more information about deleting your iPhone videos, including pros and cons of this setting, as well as answers to some common questions.
You can also check out this video about how to delete a recorded video on an iPhone for more on this topic.
So, you’ve become the next Steven Spielberg of iPhone filmmaking – and now you’re running out of storage. The iPhone camera is fantastic for capturing moments, but those videos can quickly gobble up space. No worries! Let’s walk through the easy steps to declutter.
Understanding iPhone Video Storage
Where Do Videos Live?
On the iPhone, your videos primarily reside in the Photos app. Think of it as your personal library. From silly cat videos to important life events, everything’s there!
How Much Space Do They Take?
Ever wondered why your storage is always “almost full?” Videos, especially in HD or 4K, can take up a lot of space. One minute of 4K video can be about 400MB! That adds up real quick.
Delete Like a Pro
Step 1: Accessing Your Videos
Open the Photos app. At the bottom, tap ‘Albums’ and then ‘Videos’. Voilà! All your recorded videos in one place.
Step 2: Select & Delete
Find a video you want to say goodbye to. Tap ‘Select’ at the top right, then tap on the video(s). Hit the trash icon, and confirm. Easy, right?
Step 3: Permanent Removal
Hold up! You’ve put them in the trash, but they’re not gone for good… yet. Head to the ‘Recently Deleted’ album, tap ‘Select’, choose your videos, and then ‘Delete All’. Now, they’re really gone.
Pros of Deleting Videos
- Free Up Space: More space for apps, photos, and other fun stuff!
- Faster Backup: Less data means iCloud backups are quicker.
- Organized Library: Keep only the memories you cherish most.
Cons of Deleting Videos
- Gone Forever: Once you’ve deleted them from ‘Recently Deleted’, there’s no coming back.
- Lost Memories: That spontaneous dance video? Can’t relive it if it’s gone.
- Redo Hassles: If you’re editing a video project, you’d need to reshoot.
Video About Deleting Recorded iPhone Videos
Storage Management Tips
- Regularly Backup: Use iCloud or your computer to save videos before deleting.
- Editing Apps: Consider using apps that compress videos without sacrificing too much quality.
- External Storage: Flash drives and hard drives for iPhones are a thing. Check ’em out!
It’s essential to manage your iPhone’s storage wisely. While videos capture magical moments, it’s okay to let some go to make room for new memories. Remember the process, back up often, and you’re all set!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I recover a video once it’s permanently deleted? Unfortunately, no. Once out of the ‘Recently Deleted’ album, it’s gone for good.
- What about videos in other apps like WhatsApp or Snapchat? Each app manages its media. You’d need to delete videos within those apps separately.
- How often should I back up my videos? As often as you can. Ideally, after a significant event or a big recording day.
- Are there alternative storage options for iPhone videos? Absolutely! Consider cloud services like Google Photos or Dropbox, or external storage devices designed for iPhones.
- Does deleting videos improve iPhone performance? Not directly, but freeing up storage can enhance overall device performance.
Matthew Burleigh has been writing technology how-to articles and tutorials for over a decade. He has extensive experience in information technology both in small business and as a consultant.
His articles have appeared on dozens of websites and been read millions of times.
He covers many different topics concerning technology, but focuses primarily on smartphones, consumer software, and consumer electronics.
You can read his full bio here.